By Jeff Emmerson
None of us know it all. That’s the beauty and the curse of all this mental health awareness. We’ve got everything to gain through continually investing in adult ADHD research and mental health research in general, but a ton to lose every single day in the meantime as people suffer from life-changing conditions that result in any number of tragic conclusions, which you can imagine in your head. If someone did know it all, at least we’d have these fragile brains figured out. Who knows. I prefer not to live in a fantasy world, so raising invaluable awareness throughout the online world is my way of giving back to the world after taking for a long time, though I had no other choice – I had to get my head straight, to follow my heart and figure out the formula for a truly successful, satisfying life. At least I’m here with this blog right now. I’m putting my determination and daily commitment (as well as my passion) toward opening eyes all over the globe, as I always say.
I’m doing my best, and researchers all over the world are doing amazing things research-wise! We don’t hear a lot about it, but behind the doors of universities, short and longer-term studies are going on as you read this. When a discovery is made, you’ll be sure to read about it here in The Adult ADHD Blog, and through my column at EverydayHealth.
While we wait for new breakthroughs, it’s really up to each of us to do all we can to learn about adult ADHD research, ways to minimize our symptoms, and medications that can be used if needed to help with the 10% of living with adult ADHD and any co-existing condition(s) a person might have. The other 90% really is the ways, the tools, and the tips for dealing with our minds, our behaviors. We’ve got to be as in control of ourselves as possible to live fuller lives with these conditions. No doubt about it. We can’t simply depend on a drug to do it for us! Take that from me.
At the hospital I work at, I witness patients going through their own personal battles with mental health, and it breaks my heart, but I do my best to be “the nice security guard,” empower them, and be a positive person in uniform as best I can. I get Moms, Dads and the patients themselves thanking me out of the blue for simply “being kind,” and wow, does that ever touch me deeply, as a guy who was once in a psych ward himself.
Why do I mention that? Because in the meantime, while the researchers are doing their job, we can all do our own part to help our fellow human beings get through another hour, another day by simply being kind. It won’t “fix” or save everyone, but we CAN and DO make a difference through being compassionate human beings who realize that mental health is NO ONE’S FAULT. Period.
As I continue on my mission, take the ride with me as I become a published author, explode this blog over time, and change lives through (you guessed it) simply being kind and sharing my battle for everyone to see. You see what we can do when we put our minds to it? It takes time, but that time will pass anyway – REACH for your goals. You inspire others automatically that way, more than you realize! People are watching us when we don’t know it. They see how we speak, how we live, and how passionate we are. WE are the example.